If you will consider the humble beginnings of Kia Motors, you will not expect it to rise in global dominance in the car industry. But as you can now see, Kia cars are so well received all over the world. Its sponsorship of major international sports events like soccer, tennis, and basketball speaks of their status in international business.
A Short Look at Kia’s History
Kia is the oldest car company in South Korea. It was established on June 9, 1944, not as a car manufacturer, but as a maker of bicycle parts and steel tubing. In 1951, the company began assembling complete bicycles and later ventured on building motorcycles in 1957.
It started building trucks in 1962 and cars in 1974. With the immense popularity of its line of cars around the world, it now completely personifies the meaning of its name. Kia means “rising out of Asia.”
Current Models of Kia Cars
Kia has a complete line of cars that can satisfy the tastes and budgets of all kinds of car lovers. Here are some of them:
Mid-Size and Luxury Sedans
- Optima – this car is equipped with a 2.0 liter gasoline direct injection turbo engine that can deliver a maximum of 274 horsepower. It offers fuel efficiency compared to that of a four cylinder engine.
- Cadenza – this car has an engine with the same specifications of the Optima.
- K900 – this car is powered by a 5.0 liter, V8 engine and can deliver a maximum of 420 horsepower.
Crossovers and Mini Vans
- Sorento – this car comes with two choices of engines, a 2.4 liter, 4 cylinder engine or a 3.3 liter, V6 engine.
- Sedona – this car is equipped with a 3.3 liter Lambda-II gasoline direct injection engine, with 248 lb.-ft. of torque.
- Soul – this car is driven by an electric motor that can deliver 109 horsepower at a staggering 96% efficiency and zero emission.
- Sportage – This car comes with a 2.4 liter gasoline direct injection engine, with a maximum 182 horsepower.
- Sportage SX – this vehicle is equipped with a 2.0 liter, turbocharged GDI engine that delivers 260 horsepower.
Current Innovations of Kia Motors
Not to be outdone, Kia Motors also has a number of innovations it offers to car lovers around the world. Some of them are:
- Ventilated front seats
- The UVO infotainment and telematics system with voice-recognition technology
- Back-Up Warning System
Follow Us on Facebook
Straight To Your Inbox
Get the latest Automotive news and performance tests straight to your inbox!